The crown for the best Khao Soi in Chiang Mai is hotly contested, but from the many restaurants who serve this famous northern Thai dish only five make it onto our list. This smoky, coconut curry has a distinct taste when compared to other Thai curries and that is because it originally came from Burma. The use of herbs and spices gives it a flavor akin to Indian cuisine, especially the use of cardamom and turmeric. It can be made with different meats but is most often seen with chicken, owing to its Burmese Muslim roots.
We have picked Chiang Mai restaurants that specialize in Khao Soi but they could be local, open-air joints with plastic stools and stainless steel tables where a bowl of steaming hot khao soi will cost you little more than 40 baht, right up to some of the most fashionable restaurants in the city where it could cost 10 times that. We have been led purely on the taste, and, trust us, each of these taste amazing.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Khao Soi Khun YaiChiang Mai Old City
Khao Soi Khun Yai is a popular restaurant famous for its Khao Soi dish. It is very popular and often busy so be prepared to wait for a seat and your meal. The Khao Soi with chicken is 30 Baht (or 35 Baht for the large portion) and cooked with an authentic recipe including coconut milk. You can also order it with pork or beef. As well as Khao Soi there are a few other noodle dishes available including rice noodles in a clear soup, Ba Mee noodles and a spicy noodle soup. There are also 15 Baht iced juice drinks with the choice of lotus root, longan or guava juice. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 14:00 (closed Sundays)
- Location: Sripoom Road, directly after Sripoom soi 8
Khao Soi IslamChiang Mai Riverside
Khao Soi Islam is a popular local Khao Soi restaurant close to the river, Warowot Market and Chiang Mai’s Mosque. It is run by Muslim Thai’s and serves a variety of Southern Thai dishes that have a Muslim influence. Khao Soi is the most popular dish at Khao Soi Islam but other popular dishes include the Thai style dumplings, beef massaman curry and a plate of chicken satay that come with a thick peanut sauce. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 8:00 - 17:00
- Location: 22-24 Soi 1, Charoenprathet Road, Changklan
Khao Soi WulaiChiang Mai Old City
Khao Soi Wulai is a Thai favourite when it comes to Khao Soi. Located halfway along the winding Wulai Road (which is also the Saturday Walking Street Road) the restaurant is a popular place with locals for Khao Soi but relatively unknown to tourists visiting Chiang Mai. Khao Soi Wulai has a simple sign in Thai language and the restaurant interior is also simple, with wooden tables and stools. You will notice it because it’s the only restaurant that is open to the road and full of people. usually very full with people Read More...
- Opening Hours: 9:00 - 15:00
- Location: Wulai Road, Chiang Mai
Huen Phen RestaurantChiang Mai Old City
This long-time favourite restaurant has been serving up mouthwatering northern Thai fare for more than four decades. It serves one of the best khao sois in Chiang Mai, along with a range of northern Thai fare prepared according to the family recipe. The non-descript open-air section is open for lunch, whereas dinner is served in an atmospheric dining room. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 08:30 - 16:00 and 17:00 - 22:00
- Location: 112 Rachamankha Road, inside the Old City wall
- Tel: +66 (0) 538 145 48
Free Bird CaféChiang Mai Old City
Free Bird Cafe is a colourful cafe just outside the city moat on a street corner. Their menu is extensive and has a mixture of Thai, Burmese and western dishes as well as coffee and fruit smoothies. Recommended dishes include Burmese tea leaf salad (60 Baht) and the banana, peanut butter and chocolate smoothie (80 Baht) ad a large portion of Khao Soi (100 Baht), and all dishes are made using ingredients sourced from local vendors and producers. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - midnight
- Location: Charoen-Prathet Road (1st branch), Chiang Mai-Lamphun Highway (2nd branch)
- Tel: +66 53 27 6810 (1st branch), +66 53 24 0270 (2nd branch)