Nimmanhaemin and the surrounding area offers probably the most modern shopping options in the city, certainly true compared to the shophouses and traditional crafts shops that can be found over in the Old City. Nimman is more about the hipster boutiques catering from the student crowd, as well as a few lifestyle malls that effortlessly wrap up retail with entertainment and leisure.
Chiang Mai’s newest and coolest mall, Maya can also be found at the very top (north end) of Nimmanhaemin Road, and the shops continue down the road from there with several cool finds tucked away in the maze of surrounding sois. Check out our Top 5 Shopping in Nimman below.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
This modern mall has completely revitalised Chiang Mai’s ageing retail scene (along with the construction of the larger Central Festival across town), offering plenty in the way of local and international fashion brands – enough for a good few hours of retail therapy. However, what we really love about this futuristic looking mall at the top of Nimman Road is its range of leisure and entertainment options (helping it to fulfil its title of being a ‘lifestyle’ mall). There are a good few rooftop bars on the sixth floor (Myst is a must), not to mention a cinema, games complex and plenty of restaurants and cafes to fill up the rest of your afternoon. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 22:00
- Location: Maya 55 Moo 5, Huay Kaew Road, Nimmanhaemin
- Tel: +66 (0) 5208 1555
Literally translating (in Northern Thai) to the ‘market in front of the gate’ (that gate being Chiang Mai University gate) this spacious area fills up quickly every evening with hungry students, local residents and the occasional expat looking for a bargain. The market is very food-focused, with whole areas sectioned off and under the cover of metal roofs dedicated to mostly Thai and Japanese food. Most nights of the week there are lots of fashion stalls too, with vendors selling everything from vintage plaid shirts and second-hand shoes, to cheap makeup and accessories for the girls (and boys).
- Opening Hours: 18:00 - 22:00
- Location: Opposite Chiang Mai University main gate on Huay Kaew Road
Along with a luxury hotel (Kantary Hills) a cafe, bars and a fancy restaurant, Kantary Terrace is also home to one of the newest shopping malls in Chiang Mai. The ‘lifestyle’ mall sets itself apart from the rest of the growing competition with its range of boutique shops selling locally designed clothes for all tastes and budgets. The place is limited in size; good if you just want a quick retail fix – not so good if you really want lots of choice. For that, head to Central Shopping Mall. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00 (restaurants and bars stay open later)
- Location: Kantary Terrace, Chiang Mai 44/1 Nimmanhaemin Road, Soi 12, Chiang Mai
- Tel: +66 53 22 2111
This cool furniture store sitting on Niman Road offers and small but high-quality range of sofas, beds, tables, chair sets, cabinets and draws made from a variety of different kinds of wood. As well as larger items, those travelling light might be interested in some of their cool lighting installations, funky ornaments or fold-away furnishings that you might just be able to squeeze into your luggage. The company also has its own factory store out in the countryside where you can get a tour and see the furniture being made – see the website (with the link provided below) for more details.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 17:00
- Location: 6/23-24 Nimmanhaemin Road, Suthep, Muang District
- Tel: +66(0)53 220604
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/gerardcollection/
This cute collection of independent vendors line two small sois by the entrance to Nimman Road where it meets with Huay Kaew. Most of the vendors here are selling cheap women’s fashion items and accessories, although there are a few more upscale boutiques which might grab your attention a little bit more. Away from fashion, there is more to be found in the way of handicrafts, gadgets, electronics, artwork and those unavoidable tacky souvenirs.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 22:00
- Location: Start of Niman Road – Nimman Soi 4