The best coffee shops in Chiang Mai could hold their own in any of the world’s cafés hotspots. The laidback nature of Thailand’s northern capital ensures a steady flow of customers who are quite happy to sit back and enjoy a great cup of coffee while soaking up the true nature of Chiang Mai.
We love many different types of cafés in Chiang Mai; funky Old City shophouses in the heart of the tourist quarter selling beans sourced from all over the world to local teak houses selling coffee sourced direct from the family farm – we have tried them all and present the very best of them here. Of course, many of Chiang Mai’s best coffee shops also have brunch menus and homemade cakes so you can fill up for the day or treat yourself to something sweet.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Akha Ama CaféChiang Mai Old City
Akha Ama cafe opened in 2010 and is a cosy cafe down a hidden soi in the Santitham area, north of the Old City. There is an air conditioned indoor area and a leafy outdoor area, shaded by trees. The cafe works as a social enterprise, so the coffee farmers are given a fair wage and all profits go back to the village that grows the beans. Most of the staff and the founder of Akha Ama come from the hill tribe village and are very knowledgeable about coffee. The cafe as well as the founder, Lee Ayu, have become quite famous in Thailand and on weekends and public holidays the cafe is busy with visitors. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 8:00 - 18:00 (closed Wednesday)
- Location: 9/1 Mata Apartment, Hassadhisawee Road, Soi 3 Chang Phuak
- Tel: +66 (0)86 915 8600
Doppio Ristr8to is widely considered to be the best coffee shop in Chiang Mai. The owner worked for many years in Australia, won awards for his latte art and brought back the secret skills of good coffee to Chiang Mai. The shop on Nimmanhaemin Road is very small with lots of low tables, and is always full. It has an indoor area that is air conditioned and lots of outdoor seating in the sun. Doppio Ristr8to isn’t the type of cafe to sit hours in, and people often come to drink their coffee, take photos and then leave. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 7:08 -18:00
- Location: 15/3 Nimmanhaemin Road, Chiang Mai
- Tel: +66 (0)53 215 278
Bays Café Chiang MaiNimman
Bays Café Chiang Mai focuses on making coffee using the pour over method so there is no machine, just an impressive display of drip coffee devices for you to watch your coffee brew. Bays Cafe is attached to a restaurant called Food4Thought and they share a large open air area in a relaxing garden. There is a roof and indoor area to sit in, or you can sit at the coffee bar with barista Bay himself. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 07:30 - 20:00 (closed Sunday and Monday)
- Location: 15/5 Moo 1, Soi Sudjai, off Canal road, Chang Phuak
- Tel: +66 (0) 86 673 4853
Asama Café Chiang MaiChiang Mai Airport
Asama Cafe is a small coffee shop with a great view of Doi Suthep Mountain. It is about a 15 minute drive from the old city and hidden in a gated community. It is hard to find but worth it if you are looking for hidden gem. The cafe itself is one small room with four stools and a large, shiny, imported coffee machine. There are more seats in the outdoor area, including a two person swinging bench, which overlook a pond and the mountain. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 8:00 -16:00 (closed 1st and 15th day of the month)
- Location: 122/128 Chiang Mai Lakeland, Chiang Mai
- Tel: +66 815305388
Overstand Café Chiang MaiChiang Mai Old City
Overstand Café Chiang Mai offers breakfast, brunch and lunch, as well as expertly made coffee. While you might not notice the cafe from a distance, it is one of Chiang Mai’s favourite cafes for expats and tourists. The cafe is set in a converted shophouse and decorated in grey and black with lots of plants at the entrance. There are 5 small tables, a large table that customers can share and a sofa to relax on. The staff are very friendly and greet you with a smile when you arrive. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 8:00 - 14:00 (closed Tuesday)
- Location: 19/3 Rachamankra Road soi 2, old city, Chiang Mai
- Tel: +66 (0)95 323 7360