This list of the best yoga studios in Chiang Mai showcases the best from quite a wide selection of available venues. Being quite a laidback sort of city, steeped in culture and surrounded by beautiful scenery, yoga is a perfect fit for the so-called ‘Rose of the North’. Also, Chiang Mai has become a firm favourite on the backpacker trail around Southeast Asia, attracting many wandering yogis and spiritual types.
Given the wide choice of venues available, selecting the best places for yoga in Chiang Mai becomes a case of looking at the skill and experience of the teachers, the variety of classes available and the convenience of the location. Our list features schools with onsite cafés, beautiful garden settings in and around the Old City and classes teaching meditation, Pilates, dance, spiritual wellness and a diverse range of yogas.
Mahasiddha YogaChiang Mai Old City
Mahasiddha Yoga is regarded as the best place to practice spiritual yoga techniques for the authentic experience. Specialising in Tantra yoga, they hold regular retreats and weekly Tantra workshops every Saturday. These workshops go beyond just yoga, to include topics to elevate your mind and spirit. The teachers are certified by the Atman International Federation of Yoga and Meditation and the centre is conveniently located just south of Chiang Mai Old City. The studio is large and modern, with spacious gardens for use in good weather.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 20:00
- Location: 49 Chang Lor Road, Chiang Mai Old City
- Tel: +66 (0)61 378 4194
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/tantrayogachiangmai
- Price Range: 220 baht for single drop-in class
Freedom Yoga and CaféNight Bazaar
Freedom Yoga offers one of the broadest choices of different techniques of any of the best yoga studios in Chiang Mai. This includes traditional Hatha yoga, Yin yoga, the fast-paced Vinayasa yoga, Ashtanga yoga and Iyengar yoga. Which is available will sometimes depend on the time of year. There are also Pilates, meditation and yoga theory classes. The studio itself is fairly compact, with a traditional look, and has a café attached where you can get fresh juices, smoothies and healthy meals.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 08:00 – 19:00, Sat 09:00 – 18:00, Sun 09:00 – 11:00
- Location: 36-37 Kampaeng Din Soi 1, Night Bazaar
- Tel: +66 (0)84 369 4339
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/FreedomYogaAndCafe
- Price Range: 250 baht for single drop-in class
The Yoga TreeChiang Mai Old City
With a beautiful studio set in lush gardens in a quiet corner of Chiang Mai Old City, The Yoga Tree is a firm favourite of the local community. The qualified and experienced teachers provide classes in a wide range of disciplines, from Yoga for Begginers to Pilates, meditation, dance, Tai Chi and creative wellness, among others. They host regular special workshops, events and even small festivals, and there is an onsite café for fresh, healthy snacks.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 09:00 – 18:00, Sat 10:00 – 18:00, Sun 10:00 – 16:00
- Location: 65/1 Soi Chantharawirot, off Arak Road, Chiang Mai Old City
- Tel: +66 (0)62 283 9915
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/yogatreechiangmai
- Price Range: 300 baht for single drop-in class
Yoga Ananda Chiang MaiNimman
Yoga Ananda Chiang Mai has two branches. This information is for the main branch in Nimman, but there is a smaller sub-branch near Jing Jai Market, north of the Old City. If you take your yoga very seriously and like to be pushed to your limits, this is the place for you. Owner and teacher Nok is accredited by the Yoga Alliance and is trained in several different types of yoga but has her own unique approach and style. Her studio is modern, but modest in size, so it is recommended to get there a bit early to get a prime spot. Yoga Ananda Chiang Mai does teacher training and certification courses two or three times per year, if you want to take your yoga experience to the next level.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 09:00 – 19:30, Sat – Sun 09:00 – 18:15
- Location: Room 110, Hillside 3 Condo, Nimmanhaemin Road Soi 8, Nimman
- Tel: +66 (0)81 884 0122
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/yogaananda.net
- Price Range: 250 baht for single drop-in class
Yoga Mind Yoga BodyHuay Kaew
Gernot Huber is one of the best-known and most respected foreign yoga teachers in Chiang Mai. While he leads regular classes at The Yoga Tree and other venues, he also gives private lessons, with a particular focus on anatomy and alignment. He has practised and studied yoga since 1996, and has experience in Anusara, Iyengar, Forrest, Kripalu and Ashtanga yoga. While his expertise makes his among the best yoga studios in Chiang Mai, he does not hold drop-in classes. You will need to book an appointment, with the best times usually being in the early afternoon.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri, by appointment only
- Location: 21/6 Ratchaphuek Road, off Huay Kaew Road, behind Chiang Mai Lodge
- Tel: +66 (0)89 758 6872
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/YogaMindYogaBody
- Price Range: 2,000 baht for private classes, 200 baht for each additional student