The best tattoo studios in Chiang Mai will give you an indelible souvenir of your time in this memorable Thai city. Most places around the popular parts of Chiang Mai can, at the very least, duplicate a provided design or something from their own catalogue. Our list is reserved for those which offer something special, whether it’s outstanding service, extensive experience or a unique personal touch.
When looking for where to get tattoos in Chiang Mai, you’ll find that the majority of places use fresh needles for each tattoo and take cleanliness very seriously. The places on our list stand out for their use of high-quality inks, modern equipment (unless you want to try the traditional Thai bamboo tattoo technique, which some say hurts less) and skilled artists. With their extensive experience, they can minimise the pain and recovery time and give you a vibrant, well-drawn tattoo you can treasure and show off for the rest of your life.
Use this guide to recommended tattoo studios in Chiang Mai as a starting point, but always do your own research. Poke your head around the door, ask questions, and decide for yourself if the artist is the right one to give you your next tattoo.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Naga Crew TattooNight Bazaar
Naga Crew was among the first modern tattoo shops in Chiang Mai, and remains one of the best. Their experience in tribal and traditional Thai tattoos is unrivalled, though they can do any design you care to bring to them, using either modern machines or traditional bamboo techniques. The owner and chief artist (flatteringly nicknamed “Ugly”) started drawing tattoos fresh out of school, honing his skills on the bodies of willing friends. His reputation grew rapidly, to the point that he is now one of the most respected artists in the city.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Sat 12:00 – 23:00 (Closed Sun)
- Location: 73/1-2 Loi Kroh Road, Night Bazaar
- Tel: +66 (0)85 041 2302
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/NAGATATTOOTHAILAND
Best Sure TattooNimman
The remarkable thing about Best Sure Tattoo, and the feature which earns it a place among the best tattoo studios in Chiang Mai, is its special service for women. As well as a branch in Bangkok, there are two branches in Chiang Mai, both in Kad Suan Kaew Mall, just to the northwest of the Old City. They have women artists, led by Khun Aon, to work with female customers. The studio can do many styles, but they specialise in Oriental designs.
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 19:00
- Location: 4th Floor, Kad Suan Kaew Mall, Nimman
- Tel: +66 (0)86 776 6883
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Best-Sure-Tattoo-Thailand-119863321466120
Sam Tattoo ChiangmaiNight Bazaar
There are three branches of Sam Tattoo, all around the Night Bazaar area. One is called Perfect Ink Tattoo Studio, but is under the same management. The main branch is in Galare Night Bazaar. Able to do machine or traditional bamboo tattoos, they can do a great variety of tattoo styles and custom designs, as well as traditional Thai ones such as Sak Yant. Available on request, they have inks which react to UV light (blacklight), giving your body an unearthly glow.
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 24:00
- Location: Galare Night Bazaar, Night Bazaar
- Tel: +66 (0)89 884 0462
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Sam-Tattoo-Chiang-Mai-Fan-Page-151357498226481
Chiangmai Skinart Tattoo StudioChiang Mai Old City
While far from the largest or most impressive-looking tattoo studio in the city, Chiangmai Skinart Tattoo Studio stands out for its use of vegan inks, as well as for the skill of the owner/artist. Chris Kamhoms strongly encourages people to choose custom designs, including geometric and mandala patterns or his signature first-class dot work. This ensures that each tattoo is unique, which is a part of what makes this the best place to go for a really personal tattoo experience.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Sat 10:00 – 22:00 (Closed Sun)
- Location: 74/1 Chaiyapoom Soi 2, Old City
- Tel: +66 (0)81 169 9132
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/ChiangmaiSkinart
Celebrity Ink Tattoo Chiang MaiNight Bazaar
Celebrity Ink have attained global acclaim for their work through their flagship studio in Phuket’s Bangla Road. The Chiang Mai venue is just as highly regarded, thanks to its large number of artists, each well-trained and wielding modern high-end tattoo guns, loaded with the best brand inks from the USA. Their artwork is very impressive and, being Australian managed, there are native English-speakers on hand so that you can explain every detail of the design you want, ensuring you get exactly what you envisioned.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 24:00
- Location: 44/2 Loi Kroh Road, Night Bazaar
- Tel: +66 (0)52 009 335
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/CelebrityInkTattooChiangMai
Bloodline Tattoo Chiang MaiNight Bazaar
The Australian-owned Bloodline Tattoo Studio features award-winning artists using modern equipment (or bamboo, on request) and first-class inks in a sterile environment - basically, everything you want to hear when looking for a tattoo studio in Chiang Mai. As with Celebrity Ink, Bloodline built their excellent reputation in Phuket before expanding with this impressive four-level branch just to the east of Chiang Mai Old City. The artists at Bloodline are particularly skilled when it comes to large designs, but can do small ones just as well.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 01:00
- Location: 25/4 Loi Kroh Road, Night Bazaar
- Tel: +66 (0)86 924 4820
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Bloodlinetattoochiangmai