The Good View is one of the most famous restaurants in Chiang Mai and lives up to its name with some particularly tranquil views over the River Ping just a few metres away from the venue.
The whole place is quite huge, with an indoor section (not so good for the views) as well as an outside terrace and further seating down towards the riverbank. It’s open all day (from 10:00 to 01:30), and if you’re coming late for dinner the best advice is to book a table in advance or come early, as most of the riverside tables get taken up fast after sunset.
Good View sits on the eastern side of the river, which means those staying toward the centre of town will have to cross the water on one of the bridges. That said, it’s still very easy to find, located roughly opposite Warorot Market and walking distance from both the Night Bazaar and the end of the prominent Tha Phae Road.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Just like the size of the venue, the food and drinks menu is huge, with an obvious focus on classic Thai dishes, as well as seafood and western comfort food. Snacks like deep fried shrimps, grilled pork neck and chicken legs start at the 140 baht price mark while mains like spicy salads, tom yam soup and curries are priced around 250 baht. The Good View Bar and Restaurant also specialises in Thai-Chinese 'party' food which comes in large portions to share. Dishes to look out for are the stir-fried soft shell yellow crab curry (250 baht), stir-fried squid with salted egg (150 baht) and roasted prawns with ginger and chilli (200 baht). Whole fish are prepared in a number of ways, with the likes of Red Snapper, Tubtim, Grouper, and Snakehead Fish around 300 baht per serving.
Local and imported beers are available by the bottle, as it a limited number of wines and cocktails – which start from a very reasonable 150 baht for a glass. There is live music every night (mostly acoustic and blues), so if you really want to make the night of it, move inside after your dinner and soak up the warm, homely atmosphere over a few beers or bottle of whiskey.
Again, bookings for the best waterside spots are a must if you plan to come anytime in the evening. You can book your spot through either the phone number or website link provided below.
- Opening Hours: 11:00-24:00 daily
The Good View Bar & Restaurant
- Location: The Good View Bar & Restaurant, 13 Charoen Raj Road, Chiang Mai
- Tel: +66(0) 53 302764 , +66(0) 53 241866
- Website: https://web.facebook.com/goodview.cm?_rdr