Wat Phra That Doi Kham (often referred to as Wat Doi Kham or the Golden temple) is located at the top of a hill to the south west of the city. The views from the top of Wat Doi Kham are impressive, you can see both the city and the rolling mountains at the back of Doi Pui Mountain. The temple is mainly visited by Thai’s who come to visit the 17-metre-tall image of sitting Buddha. The Buddha can be seen from the bottom of the hill and is decorated in gold lending to the temple’s nickname ‘the golden temple’.
There are different ways to get to Wat Phra That Doi Kham but for the true experience, take the staircase. There are 300 steps from the bottom to get to the temple and the staircase is decorated with a serpent on each side winding down the mountain.
The temple has an entrance fee of 30 Baht for foreigners and make sure to cover your shoulders and knees otherwise you will be asked to rent a scarf to cover up in respect of the temple and monks. If you don’t want to walk up the stairs there is also a funicular that will take you up and down the mountain.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Wat Phra That Doi Kham
- Opening Hours: Daily Sunrise – sunset
- Location: Doi Kham, Mae Hia, Chiang Mai