Wat Phan Tao is a beautiful wooden temple with a decorated garden area. Sitting next to the famous Wat Chedi Luang this temple is often overlooked but worth a visit. Especially when the more famous religious complexes in the area are overrun with tourists in the high season. When you enter, the main prayer hall is to your right and a walkway on your left leads you to the stupa at the back. The prayer hall is made from dark teak wood and inside is a gold image of the Buddha. The prayer hall was built back when the teak trade was at its peak and the wood was an offering to the Buddha.
When you walk to the back there is a pond, bamboo clusters on the side, and a Buddha image sitting under a Bodhi tree. Often there are also lots of orange prayer flags. Sometimes this area is decorated depending on if there is an up-and-coming holiday or full moon. During ceremonies monks will also sit alongside the pond and chant and in the evenings it is magical. Further to the back is the large stupa made as well as a well-tended garden area. Sometimes you will even see monks gardening.
- Wat Doi Suthep & Hmong Hill-Tribe Village
- Doi Inthanon National Park Tour
- Ping River Dinner Cruise
- Khantoke Dinner with Traditional Dance Performance
- Old City Half-Day Bike Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- 2-Day Whitewater Rafting & Ziplining
- Full-Day Countryside Bike Tour with Lunch
- Aroy Aroy Thai Cooking School & Market Tour
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
Wat Phan Tao
- Opening Hours: sunrise – late
- Location: Phra Pokklao Road, Old City