Wat Bupparam is one of Chiang Mai’s most visited temples and has a strong Burmese influence from the past. Located on Thapae Road and 500 metres from Thapae Gate, the old entrance to Chiang Mai city, Wat Bupparam has a strong historical significance. Thapae Road used to be the route traders would take as they entered the city and so many Buddhists would have stopped off at this impressive temple. Wat Bupparam was originally built in 1497 but the stupa was rebuilt in Burmese style in 1958 with four large lions around the base for protection. The temple has a mix of Burmese, Thai and Lanna designs with an impressive teak mirror mosaic on one of the buildings, but is best known for its imposing teak Buddha image in the main temple hall.
Inside the main hall there are two floors. On the ground floor there are some interesting murals of modern religious art, one of which was drawn by a famous Thai artist as his university thesis. Another mural shows old Lanna traditions for each of the twelve months of the year. Sometimes there is a monk sitting on the first floor waiting to give blessings to visitors. In exchange for a blessing and a bracelet it is usually expected that you offer a donation to the temple. Outside the garden area has some interesting Disney statues that were donated as a gift to the temple.
- Opening Hours: 7:00 – 18:00
- Location: Thapae Road